Saturday, January 12, 2013

Prologue




Slayer… That’s the moniker that was bestowed on me by the Metal Council last spring as we were killing ourselves with 300+ mile, 15+ hour training weeks the last few months before the 2012 edition of Race Across America (RAAM.)  Those of you who know me only in a public, work setting might be puzzled by the choice.  I tend to be a fairly conservative, not a big risk taker, jeans and polo shirts guy.  However, those that have ridden and trained with me know that some sort of transformation takes place any time I clip in.  Like a rabid dog, there isn’t a wheel I won’t chase, a Strava segment I won’t sniff, a car (or teammate) I won’t go “all Yosemite Sam” on if I feel I’ve been unjustly treated in any way.  I tend to be a bit competitive as well (Ryan aka Animal can attest to this I’m sure…)  I’ll try to put the hurt on you early and often if I get a chance.  I get my ass handed to me at times, but it won’t be for lack of effort.  So Slayer it is.  This is an attempted accounting of the 2012 RAAM where we (Team ViaSat – Metal, Toro, Animal, Hammer, Crossfire, Hazard, Wildebeest and I) laid waste to our competition and blew up the 8-man team course record finishing the 3000 mile race in 5 days, 5 hours and 5 minutes at a fraction under 24 MPH.



Let me start by going on record to say this might be a bad idea.  I tend to articulate my thoughts best when they’re unscripted and I have to think on my feet. The notion of sitting down and chronicling my experiences from last summer’s RAAM feels like a daunting task.  However, inspired by several of my 2012 teammates who have done a brilliant job (so far) of telling their stories, I’ve decided to take a shot at sharing some of Truck 4’s trip across the country. 

Wait… inspired??  That’s crap…  The real story is that I decided to document some of our story because Metal and Animal have been talking about all the cool shit that went on in their trucks and during their race and I figure remaining radio-silent would imply we had a mellow, pedestrian, RIDE Across America.  Quite the contrary… In stark contrast to the way Truck 1 (hereafter referred to as Metal 1) orchestrated their attacks like silent, precise, deadly, assassins (as described by Metal) and Truck 2 with Animal’s description of a combination of raw speed and power, we in Truck 4 traversed the country with far less precision and attention to detail.  With Jeff (aka PegLeg) at the wheel (I’m convinced he was a stunt driver in Death Race 2000), the Wildebeest set up mid-cabin and me cramped (wait… I meant camped… sorry WB) out in the way back (more about this later), Truck 4 careened its way across the country going airborne no fewer than 3 times and only having 2 near death experiences driving in the dark and fog of West VA.

So… Let’s get started.



No comments:

Post a Comment